Where I've been in sin; Where I may go in Christ

Where I've been in sin; Where I may go in Christ

Monday, November 29, 2010

Being faithful...

Most of the posts I write are very intentional. Sometimes I just want to lay my thoughts out on the table. I usually don't know what God wants from me personally. I know what He wants as far as what is in His Word. But past that is not always so clear. I think that is because we are not always called to specific things along the way. We are simply to be faithful to what is clear in Scripture. There is plenty there to follow. "Go make disciples," is a life long calling for all believers no matter what your position is in life and that is just one thing. If I'm not being faithful to God as a child of His, father to my kids, husband to my wife, and witness to those in my sphere of influence, then I'm missing the essentials. Besides, if God really wants me to do something specific then I'm sure it will be obvious, not a guessing game.

So, am I "called" to be a chaplain at a specific prison? Not that I know of at this point. Am I "called" to be a chaplain at all? I haven't seen a burning bush or anything so I would say maybe. I could be involved as a volunteer for the rest of my life while working in the business world. But, why would I want to spend 40 to 50 hours a week doing something that I don't enjoy. Some people love being a businessman, teacher, lawyer, or doctor. But, I love the prison ministry. It is an incredibly fulfilling and active ministry where lives are constantly changing. Therefore, I will just keep moving forward and try to be faithful to the things that I'm sure of and trust that God will let me know if He has any specifics. I'm excited to be a chaplain regardless of where I serve. But, the idea of York County Prison is exciting. Just think about it...
  • The girl that I got into trouble with is now my wife.
  • Her father, who called me an enemy of the family, now calls me son.
  • The brothers that called the police on me are now my brothers and good friends.
  • The Chaplain who ministered to me would mentor me into ministering to current inmates.
  • The prison that kept me for a few months would be my mission field.
  • From a Christian perspective, redemption has gone full circle.
  • From a secular perspective, the ideal of corrections has reached its full potential.
  • A changed life is now tangible.
Most of these things will still be the same where ever I serve, but not all. I don't mean to harbor on a door that is now shut, but I still hold out some hope. I am at peace with everything, but I can still pray for God to do what only He can. There aren't any other immediate openings for me at this point. I will continue to what I can for now, wait on what I must, and pray for it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment